Wednesday, February 20, 2013

UC check up time....all good

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I'm an absolute shocker when it comes to getting blood tests done before an appointment with the gastro....and today's appointment was no exception....

As usual I didn't remember that I needed to get bloods done until last week...then I did made the usual excuses of "I'll do it tomorrow"..."plenty of time still left" etc...well no, I didn't have plenty of time ... time ran out, so this morning before breakfast and the daily dose of meds I finally made time for our local Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology collection office.  Most of the ladies there are friendly the majority of the time ... but I have had the rare instance where you get a cranky one who won't tick the bulk bill box and your stuck with a nice little out of pocket bill.  Anyway ... today I had lovely ladies ... I recognise them ... they recognise me as the patient with some weird different tests from 'normal' people ... normal is overrated :-D

So blood tests done and off the gastros at 1pm.  I love to to see my gastro when I'm feeling fine....it means she not going to want to have a little 'lookie' anywhere.  I've been seeing her now for 5 years and we have a friendly relationship..I ask her about her trip overseas at Christmas and we swap information on our kids...nothing major...just enough to be friendly.  First up..she wants to know my blood test results ... and I have to admit I only just went, so it will be another 2 weeks before she hears anything...yep..I knew that too...but she's not worried about the results ... all's looking good ... a year clear and the intestines are holding it together still with a little help from 3x imuran & 1 salazopyrin.  My gastro still can't believe that it's the little salazopyrin that could be making the difference.  She's never had anyone that 'worked' the meds and got a good result.  As I keep telling here .... we're all different and I got lucky with my combination.

I'm in and out in 10mins...a prescription and a blood test in my pocket for next time ... she wants to see me in 3 months...so of course I push it out to 4.  Can't help myself.

So those reading this who aren't in remission ... hang in there ... 2 years ago I gave up hope and felt doomed to a life where the toilet was my safe haven ... now I'm back to being able to do what I want, when I want.

I believe things happen in life and you're supposed to learn a lesson from it ... mine is not to take life for granted as mine was taken away from me and I had no choice but to be a slave to UC ... now I try to offer assistance / help to anyone that might need it ... some people I tell my story to ... some I don't ...




1 comment: