Friday, March 18, 2011

Ever started an e-mail with "Bullshit"?

Ever started an e-mail with "Bullshit"? ... well I hadn't until the other day:D

So here's what happened.... I put an onine order in for 5 magnet fridge magnets...just 12cm x 4cm..plastic..not heavy...you get the gist? They came to a total of $34.75 (USA dollars) and along with that I paid an additional $12 (USA dollars) for postage to France. That's a fair enough postal cost I reckon. I paid for this on a debit card and only put enough money onto the account to cover costs. I do payments this way when I haven't done business before with overseas companies I'm ordering from. Previously I've had to cancel credit cards as funds have been deducted without my approval and for me this is the easiest way to handle it now.

So here's the e-mail I got 2 weeks after I put in my order...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dear Paula,
Thank you for your order. It is ready to ship, but because of the size and weight, the cost to ship your order is $40.00 through Fed Ex or $35.54 through USPS. You have paid $12.00. Please let me know how you would like us to ship your order and if the additional amount is okay to add to your credit card.
Thanks,

Sommer Brant
Customer Service



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

HHMMMMMM...well that wasn't the actual words I thought ....and here's my reply

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To: Sales
Subject: RE: New Order # 5200002165


BULLSHIT!
No I am not willing to pay extra when you advertise that for my cost of order the shipping cost is $12.00. Please explain how you think you have the right to charge me more! I have a copy of your website shipping costs advertising the price. Refund my money immediately as this is false advertising before I take further action!!



Paula

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the mean time, I'd contacted my debit card company and asked them what I could do in situations like this and if there was any way of getting my money back, to which they replied yes and started the process for me. I did however get a reply back from the company, with an apology, but realistically, the damage was done.

As you can see from the e-mail below, they were able to reduce the size of the packaging. But the point is why couldn't they have done that in the beginning and saved all this hassle. Why would I pay more for postage than the actual cost of the contents?

I cancelled the order and got all my money back, including all bank charges.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
From: Dawn
Subject: New Order # 5200002165

Paula,
I apologize that you were contacted about paying more money for shipping. You are correct, our website does not say anything about charging more money for shipping. All shipping costs are based on the size and weight of the box. I took your package back to our shipping department and asked them to re-package it in a smaller box so it would be less expensive to ship. We were able to reduce it to about half the size of the original box. If you’d like to continue with your order at no additional shipping charge please let me know and we will ship it today via USPS otherwise we will cancel and refund your order.

Warm Regards,
Dawn

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oh well, all's well that ends well and the debit card is the way to go.

1 comment: