Monday, May 17, 2010

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) Diet - Week 1 (Days 1-3)

"The Specific Carbohydrate Diet™ has proven to be highly successful for many who suffer from various bowel disorders as well as the many related problems which actually stem from imbalances in the intestinal tract" - http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/ So, time to give another thing a go....I've bought the book, looked up what is 'legal' to eat and am going to give it a go for a month...no harm in trying I say...so here goes.

Day 1
- Mon
Breakfast
- 1x Danone Actimel*, Boiled Egg
Lunch
- 2 x Boiled Egg, chicken, 3 slices Cheddar Cheese, Avocado with lemon juice & pepper, Lettuce**, Tomato
Dinner
- Fish (sauce made with milk butter and honey dijon mustard***) , Cauliflower, Broccoli
Bowel Movements - 3 - Mucus(M),Blood(B) and a bit loose on the last one.
Meds - 4 x Salazopyrin, 20mg Prednisolne
Vitamins
- Magnesium with Folic acid and Vit D (combo 1 tablet)
Weight - 64.2kgs (141.53lbs)
Other - No noticeable rumbles / gurgles in the stomach / intestine area after eating Dinner

Day 2
- Tue
Breakfast - 1x Danone Actimel*, Banana, 3 very small slices of Cheddar Cheese
Lunch - scrambled eggs (2 eggs, milk****, butter), chicken, 3 slices Cheddar Cheese, Avocado with lemon juice & pepper, tomato
Dinner - Mince burgers (mince, egg & onion), carrotts
Dessert - Fruit Salad - Pear, Melon, Kiwi fruit, Pineapple, Strawberries

Bowel Movements
- 2 - M and a bit of more B than yesterday

Meds - 4 x Salazopyrin, 20mg Prednisolne

Vitamins - Magnesium with Folic acid and Vit D (combo 1 tablet)

Weight - 63.5kgs(139.99lbs)
Other - Woke up this morning to a few stomach pains...nothing too painful...could be part of the colon clean-out....but way too early to say for definite. Heard a few gurgles this morning in the intestine area, but only small and nothing like what I was hearing last week on a 'normal' diet. Went to BIO shop to look for Almond Flour, but no luck there. I have found out however that I should be able to get it in Avignon..so just an hours drive away. God, I miss bread...we have a visitor at present staying with us and he had toast this morning.... :( ... I love toast... :( ... A few gurgles after dinner... a few minor little pains on the left side of the intestine.

Day 3
- Wed
Breakfast
- 1x Danone Actimel*, Banana
Lunch - scrambled eggs (2 eggs, milk****, butter), chicken, 3 slices Cheddar Cheese, Avocado with lemon juice & p boiled eggs, chicken, grated cheese, tomato
Dinner
- Lamb kebabs cooked on the BBQ with pepper and onion, Broccoli, Cheese Bread(made as per the SCD recipe)
Dessert
- Fruit Salad - Pear, Melon, Kiwi fruit, Pineapple, Strawberries

Bowel Movements
- 1 - M and B, but of less amounts than yesterday
Meds - 4 x Salazopyrin, 20mg Prednisolne Vitamins - Magnesium with Folic acid and Vit D (combo 1 tablet)
Weight - 63.2kgs(139.33lbs)
Other - Again woke up this morning to a few stomach pains...nothing too painful. Gurgles are down today in the intestine area. Felt a bit sluggish in the morning, but after 1hr or so that went away


Couple of possible problems
*So I found out on Day 3 that Actimel is a big NO NO under the SCD diet, but I am going to continue to use it for another 2 weeks...
** I sprayed balsamic vinegar on the lettuce and don't know if this is an illegal item or not
*** Honey Dijon mustard - it is an illegal SCD item, it contains sugar...but as I boiled it in the milk, I'm hoping that some of the refined sugar was lost....
**** Milk is illegal, but it was heated..and it was only a little bit...say 30 - 40ml

Thoughts so far on SCD diet
  • I'm eating pretty well so far
  • I really wanted bread and potatoes on Day 1 & 2 - I didn't realise I would have withdraw symptoms
  • Can't find Almond Flour in France, but will keep looking
  • Missing chocolate and treats - I wonder how long that craving will last
  • I wonder if this is similar to some detoxes
I'm going to document the next month on the SCD diet, with posts every few days, just so I can have a complete record of this trail.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Way to go to start the SCDiet :)
    Good luck!

    p.s. I've been on the diet for about 5 years now and I still crave pizza and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Fernpixel - What IBD do you have and did the SCD diet help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paula
    Good Luck with this. I'm really hoping it'll do the trick for you. If nothing else, don't you think it helps just to feel like YOU are in control. I met someone last year who claimed to have a relative who cracked UC by going on a diet of only raw food. Including meat! Weird. Whatever it takes eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rich - hard to say yet...I had to go back on the preds and was so pissed off with that, that I figured whay not...the preds don't seem to be doing the job anyway...I did a bit of research before starting and a couple of things sounded an alarm for me...also I've found others that this works for when they were told it was stoma time...look, at least I can try and I get alcohol in the form of dry white wine :D ... I still miss beer though :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Paula - I have Ulcerative Colitis. The SCD diet helps a lot (I'm using the restroom 1-2 times daily)! Its the only thing that my body responds to. When I was on medication alone and eating whatever I wanted, I would get flare-ups every 3 months.

    So for the past few years, I've been taking my prescription medication while also on the SCD diet. It seems I can't do one with out the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fernpixel..the thing that kind of pisses me off though is the the GI's dismiss diet...they'd rather have you on meds etc..I'd rather at least try this SCD Diet and see where it takes me next :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Paula Its so true! My doc thought I was crazy for wanting the diet. My condition was so bad that I think he thought I was going to die (he didn't tell me this, but when doctors look concerned that's a really bad sign)

    So when I returned months later, he thought it was a miracle! Really? He'll believe in miracles but not a diet?

    The SCDiet works for most people :) I hope it works out for you. Just a note, it took me 3 tries before I got it right. I kept cheating at first and I also didn't know what I was doing. But now I got it down pretty good :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete